Sunday 25 September 2016

6 facts about glutenfree people

I decided to make you life easier if you meet a glutenfree person, so that you will understand us better 
>you are welcome humans<
Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the energy anymore (after 12 years of constant questions) to explain what gluten is and what is means to be glutenfree.
 Ask uncle Google or auntie Wikipedia (no, I am not being paid by either of them) or consult some other sources.

The "So what happens when you eat something with gluten" question
Firstly, well done, for being curious and for wanting to know more, you should be getting plus points for that. 
The truth is though, we have probably answered this question like a 1000 times and we will have to do a lot of that yet. Well, taking in account that our bodies understand gluten as poison...what do you think? But we tend to politely answer with "all sorts of digestive problems". That sometimes would not stop the curious souls who like to continue with another question "like what?". I usually answer "well, I get really bad stomach cramps, but some people are even much worse".


It is not a choice, ok?
Being allergic to gluten is not a food choice.
It is a life full of "Sorry, I cannot have that" and dealing with disappointed faces.
It is a life during which you constantly have to check the ingredience list for even "traces of gluten".
Yes, it became so modern now.
Essentially not feeding on too much amount of gluten can be good for you. But blindly following the trend without particularly knowing what gluten is...uhm...


The word "diet" in the phrase glutenfree diet 
You think you might loose 1 or 2 kilos with this "diet"? Awww, bless you, you are in for a surprise. Only once I gained 10 kilos within a year when I got diagnosed, some doctor told me how tricky this "diet" was. Although, I have not been eating more I was not eating the wheat flour anymore, which our bodies transform into active energy - something to burn easily. However, the substitute flours such as the corn or rice flour are understood as passive energy and our bodies store it. You want to loose weight? This diet is not going to help (to put it lightly).


The invitations to restaurant can be a nightmare for us
Oh, do you really want to take us out to a restaurant? Well, personally I refused to go to restaurants for about 10 years actually. I could not face the annoyed waiters, looking at me as if I wanted to make their lives difficult and the food choice varying from chicken breasts with potatoes or chicken breasts with rice. (P.s. I hate chicken breasts)
Some of us might still find it uneasy to go to restaurants, unless that is a gluten-free restaurant...in which case do go ahead and take us there, because we will be in heaven from being overwhelmed by the possibility of actually being able to pick what we can eat.
This is a picture of me and Emma (also glutenfree) in a completely glutenfree place Bluebell Tearoom in Stirling enjoying the proper English tea in a glutenfree version.

Travelling can be slightly challenging
Bare with us when we get a little stressed while travelling. Not everywhere we can find a place where can find something glutenfree to eat. We might get hungry, we might get stressed or even upset. In this case, please encourage us and be nice to us.
I have not had such a bad experience myself. The only place where I struggled a bit was my trip to Balkans. Having said that, I should say that being glutenfree interferes with my travel destination choices more than I would like to admit to myself.

Oh and by the way?
No need to apologise to us. Don´t be sorry that we cannot eat what you offered. It is very kind of you that you did and there is nothing to be sorry about. Not your or our fault...just somewhere along in the DNA did not go all that well, not a big deal ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment