Wednesday 7 January 2015

The "perks" of being a tall girl

Since the first grade, I have always belonged to the taller part of the class. 
During our sports classes when we were supposed to gather in a row I always tried to figure out if I was the tallest one. 
I liked being taller.

Then puberty came.
 I realised that I really was taller than anyone else and for several reasons stopped liking it. 
Most of all, I hated the fact that the small and petite girls evoke the impression of cuteness and that they need to be protected and cared for.
Tall girls, on the other hand, are viewed as strong, independent and tough.
But here is a bit of a news.

We can be fragile, we can break, we can feel let down and we might need a shoulder to lean on or cry on too.


I am 178 cm tall. 
>Just for the record, before anyone asks me.<
Nothing major. 
And yes, there are taller girls out there.

As I successfully got over the bloody teenage years of self-doubt, 
I actually could not care less now. 

Nevertheless, let´s admit that there are some "obstacles".

Trousers
They rarely fit. Before I understood that I better give up on this item on clothes once and for all, it took me quite a long time to realise, that the trousers are forever going to be either too short or simply wrong and unfitting shape.
Unless you wanted to wear them as capri trousers of course, then go ahead...or maybe not.

Skirts
A bit of a tricky business too.
I am sorry to say that, but if you are a taller girl a short skirt would always look too short on you.
A long skirt is no help either, as it optically makes you look even taller, yay, high five!

Dresses
What a terrible fashion wave it is now really...Why is all the clothes made for short people? I have no desire to look in it as if I grew up too much and did not want to give up that dress...or shall I say a shirt?

Long sleeve shirts?
Ugrh...sleeves are always going to be too short, fact, get over it.

The back row
In class / theatre / cinema you have been asked to sit to the back row, because people can´t see.

The table desk
You have at least once accidentaly lifted a table desk when trying to cross your legs under the table.

Mirrors
Yes...they do remind you that you are tall, but you are used to that by now probably...hopefully.
But they have their own way of reminding you even when you can´t see yourself because simply they are just too low.
Yay, well done Union Street student residences! Thank you for letting me know that I grew up a bit too much, appreciated.

Bathtubs
Forever too small.

Buses and planes
Forever not enough leg room. I made it on a bus from Prague to Lofoten Islands in northern Norway, that is a lot of self-discipline and self-control and bloody patience right there.

Hugging
You are always the one having to go lower to be able to hug your friend...both female and male ones.

Family buying your bigger sizes
Excuse me, the fact that I am tall does not mean that I wear XL size, thank you very much.

Higheels
Difficult chapter. If even without them you are taller than rest of your buddies, with them you will seem like an Eiffel tower when you put them on. If you like heels don´t let it get to you.

Dancing lessons
Around the age of 15, almost everyone in the Czech Republic goes to lessons of classical dance.
As a girl, you are supposed to wear higheels.
It is actually fun, you learn to dance Waltz, Polka, Jive and many other dances.
Correction.
It would be fun, if you were not one of the tallest people there, which at the age of 15 does not really boost your confidence. 
Most of the guys that are danced with were smaller and during the dance our eyes would rarely meet, as the level of their eyes would correspond to a place where my neck was (or even lower!!!)...which created a lot of awkward situations as you can imagine.

Dating a smaller person
Of course that there are many women who fully accept and cherrish this.
At the end of the day, you are supposed to love that person for who she or he really is, not because of how tall or small he or she is, right?
Well, I tried that and could not get over it.
Maybe I am just not mature enough, but dating a smaller guy made me feel uncomfortable.
I did not like having to lean down in order to kiss the guy, feeling huge next to him or having the same shoe size.
Pathetic, I know.
It might be just my thing, but I think that prefer to have a shoulder to put my head on...and not just metaphorically.

"Oh, could you fetch that, I can´t reach! Thanks love, good thing that you are so tall!"
Yes...you always reach, but don´t let people abuse you! :)

"Oh, you are so tall, do you play basketball or volleyball?"
Yes, you probably have had people asking you that question in the past, way too many times. And you will be asked again and again and again.
>I actually do play volleyball, to answer your question in advance.<

"Oh well, you will you have to find some basketball player to date."
Don´t you dare complain about most of the members of a sex that you are attracted to being smaller than you. People always come up with clever sentences like this.


And a BONUS.

Here is a small photo collection for you to have a laugh about a life of one tall girl.

>>>

We tall girls all know that moment:

- When your friend looks too small next to you and you look too big.

- When you go a step lower and are still taller than your friend.

- When you rather decide to lean down to make it to the photo frame.


- When you are always taller than the rest of the group. Not only you look taller, but also much bigger.

- When you are the tallest in your family.


- When you for once stand up straight and are taller that everyone else.

- When you put on heels and are IMMEDIATELY taller not only than the rest of the girls, but also than 99,9% men.

- When you are taller than your high-school headmaster.

- When you awkwardly lean towards the other person trying to decrease your height.





No comments:

Post a Comment